Saturday, May 28
· 9 a.m. Ribbon-cutting ceremony for grand reopening of museum after $1.3 million renovation. The museum will be open until 5 p.m.
· 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Hayes Home open.
· 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Family activities and games for kids.
· 11:30 a.m. - Guided tour of grounds. Meet at the main entrance to the museum.
· 1 p.m. Members of The Ohio State University Marching and Athletic Bands marching from downtown Fremont to the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Library & Museums at Spiegel Grove. Co-Sponsored by City of Fremont and the Knight Baldwin Charitable Foundation, Chris & Mary Knight and Charles Knight. Jon "The Big Nut" Peters also will make an appearance.
· 1:30 to 2 p.m. Members of OSU Marching and Athletic Bands play at Spiegel Grove.
· 2:15 p.m. Beard contest. Sponsored by Mayle, Ray & Mayle, LLC.
· 3 to 4:30 p.m. A brass quintet from The Presidents Own U.S. Marine Corps. Band plays on the Hayes Home verandah. Birthday cupcakes will be served following the concert.
Sunday, May 29
· 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Hayes Home and Museum open.
· 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. - Guided tour of grounds. Meet at the main entrance to the museum.
· 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Family activities, including games for kids.
· 1 to 2:30 p.m. Centennial ceremony on the Hayes Home verandah. Cokie Roberts, ABC News and National Public Radio analyst and best-selling author, will be the keynote speaker. A wreath-laying ceremony at President Hayes tomb will follow the ceremony.
· 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Barbecue and festive celebration. Discounted presale tickets for the barbecue are available and recommended. They cost: $5 for a hot dog, chips, applesauce, and beverage; $7 for a quarter of barbecued chicken, baked potato, tossed salad, roll, and beverage; and $9 for a half barbecued chicken, baked potato, tossed salad, roll, and beverage. To reserve tickets, call 419-332-2081, ext. 238.
Monday, May 30
· 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Hayes Home and Museum open
· Noon Dedication ceremony for the Rutherford B. Hayes Skilled Trades Center at Terra State Community College, 2830 Napoleon Road, Fremont. Those who attend can take self-guided tours of the building after the ceremony.
Additional funding for centennial events provided by ABC INOAC Exterior Services, LLC; Catawba Island Brewing Company; Community Health Services; Croghan Colonial Bank; Downtown Fremont Inc.; Louie, Phyllis and Tom Kiser; ProMedica Memorial Hospital; Sandusky County Communities Foundation; Sandusky County Convention & Visitors Bureau; The Fremont Co.; Mary B. Wonderly, M.D.; Wright Leather Works.
NOTE: Events are subject to change.
· Check rbhayes.org or call 800-998-7737 on where to park and updates on events.
· PARKING IS OFF-SITE ONLY. There will be a free shuttle from local parking lots, and it will run from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. both days. The shuttle is handicapped-accessible. Parking information is listed below:
At Hayes Presidential Library & Museums: Cleveland Avenue gate and Buckland Avenue gate
- Third Avenue Entrance to ProMedica Memorial Hospital parking lot
- Hayes Elementary School Parking Lot, 916 Hayes Avenue
- Corner of Arch and Croghan streets
- ProMedica Memorial Hospital parking lot accessed from Third Avenue
- Hayes Elementary School, 916 Hayes Avenue
- Lot on Arch Street between Garrison Street and Birchard Avenue
- Bank parking lot at corner of Front and Croghan streets
(Fremont Federal Credit Union)
- Lots at the corner of Arch and Croghan streets, and Arch Street between Croghan and Garrison streets (Croghan Colonial Bank)
Other event highlights during 2016:
· January-December 2016 Life-sized cutouts of Rutherford and Lucy Hayes have embarked on a goodwill tour of the United States, each visiting a site or library for each president in numerical order from Mount Vernon to the White House. Each site will take photos and share them on social media. Follow the fun on our Facebook page at facebook.com/hayespresidentialcenter and on Twitter at @rbhayespres.
· July 4 Fourth of July concert performed by the Toledo Symphony Concert Band on the Hayes Home Verandah. Admission is free. Sponsored by Crown Battery.
· Week of July 18 (Republican National Convention in Cleveland) Special events are being planned.
· Oct. 1 or 2 (The specific date has not yet been selected.) Lecture on the Presidency at the museum/library building. Keynote speaker is Clifton Truman Daniels, grandson of President Harry and First Lady Bess Truman.